Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Irons in the fire OR Why some people think it's their place to comment on my obligations

If you know me, you are aware that on top of being Momma to Miles and Lola and a wife to Phil, I am a Chi Omega Alum, a Junior League member, a member of the MOPS steering team at Belle Aire and on the planning team for the Child Advocacy Center's upcoming Duck Derby.

Not that long ago, someone commented to me (unsolicited, of course) that I had too many irons in the fire. Are there times when I just wish I could stay at home instead of attend a meeting? Of course. Would I miss all of those groups if I stopped my involvement tomorrow? Absolutely. I would be crushed. I would feel less fulfilled.

On a daily basis, I see the benefits of staying at home and volunteering. I am there to give my girls the encouragement they need but also sculpt their ideas about what is acceptable behavior or what it means to be well rounded. I dance with them, I sing for them and I paint with them. I take them to the library, the zoo or to play with friends. I am able to do all this while maintaining my other commitments at night.

I believe that my children are heavily influenced by seeing me work for these groups as a volunteer. In fact, Miles is already showing so many signs of a perfect little public servant. She is on fire with the notion of doing good for others! Just take a minute to process that. My daughter, at less than six years old, expresses interest in volunteering. She wants to be like me...and I specifically make it a point to set an example through voluntarism. Now how can that be a bad thing?

I know that I do not have too many irons in the fire, and quite bluntly, I think my opinion on that little fact matters more than anyone else's.

No comments: