Friday, May 30, 2008

Chicken gravy and such

My mother makes a dish that everyone covets. Everyone except me. You see, I hate onions more than anything. I specifically hate the smell of cooking onions. Anyway, tonight she made chicken gravy for dinner since my sister Ginger and her kids are in town. Chicken gravy is made by cooking some chicken breast cut into chunks and fresh onion in a skillet and adding seasonings, flour and water to create a gravy.

Tonight's dish had cooked quite a while, as you never know when Gin and her fam will roll in. They stop and shop along the way from Louisiana to here everytime! It is so funny! Anyway, to an extent, the chicken had 'cooked to pieces' and was left in several big chunks but also shredded throughout the gravy.

Lola's dinner plate held some of this chicken, roasted potatoes and carrots and a roll. She immediately tore into the chicken and announced proudly that she was ready for some more barbeque. "More bah-ba-que, Momma! Some more bah-ba-que!!! Bah-ba-que!!!!!!!!!!" She thought it was like shredded bbq meat from Slick Pig!

2 comments:

Casey said...

That's such a cute story... the chicken gravy sounds good.

Glad you are getting to see your family.

Anonymous said...

Wow...I know you are a proud mom...I hope it still works out for her